Installing Apps onto a Sony Camera from an unsupported country
It's a constant frustration for a lot of us that live outside the US, UK or one of the other countries where the Sony app ecosytem is supported that we haven't been able to install apps onto our cameras.
The problem was two-fold, first of all if you tried, you were told you were in an unsupported region and if you tried to get around that with a VPN, when it came time to pay for one of the paid apps, you would find that you're unable to add any credit to your account as Paypal is also tied to your region as is your credit card.
So first question, why would you want to install apps? Well in this case it is mainly because they add or restore some functionality to the camera (that in my mind should have been included in the first place), such as additional options when bracketing shots or a time-lapse mode and so on.
For a list of the applications that are available, go take a look here - https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/
So I finally managed to work out a solution and thought I'd share the steps here;
1) Go to this site http://www.gamecarddelivery.com and from there select a card for the Playstation Network. (I know but it's tied to the same system as for the cameras).
2) When paying for it, if you don't have a paypal account or any credit there, there is an option at the bottom to pay with a card. So choose that instead.
3) They'll send you a confirmation email and after a little while an email with a scan of the Playstation Network card and its code.
4) Now go watch this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TooigRFGd3A
5) Once you have followed the steps in the video to create a US Sony account, you can log into the site, click on your account name, manage and in the dashboard that loads, at the bottom left you will find an option to add credit to your account. Enter the code from the Playstation Network card that you received. Enter it manually it doesnt seem to work if you paste it.
NB: All of these steps for adding the credit are also in the video above.
6) Now once you have credit on your account, you can go to the playmemories site and start installing applications. Make sure your camera is connected, click on an application, then install and follow the steps.
The first time it will install a plugin to your browser to enable it to install the applications. Note if youre on a Mac it will make you restart, on Windows it didnt.
I also couldnt get it to install an app on the camera while using the Mac, for some reason it kept telling me, that it was unable to put the camera into download mode. This was despite following the guide the Brian Smith outlined here http://briansmith.com/how-to-update-sony-play-memories.../ about what USB settings to use.
In the end I just connected it to a Windows PC and it worked fine. This is frustrating though as it should work on the Mac too and I'd like to get to the bottom of it. So if you have a Mac and it works for you, please let me know.
Afterwards, once I installed a some apps, I disconnected the camera, switched it off, took the battery out, replaced it and turned it back on and I got a message "Recovering Data, please wait". It stayed there long enough that I started to worry (about 3-5 minutes) but then luckily it went away by itself. If it doesn't, you may have to reset your camera.